Wednesday, November 24, 2010

New Digs

I moved into my flat on November 6th. It’s perfect- big enough for me and small enough to keep me from being tempted to bring home a puppy. Debbie and Phil helped me move the impressive amount of stuff I’ve somehow accumulated (did you know I like to shop? I really, really do.) and Craig had everything set up and ready for me. Terri-Lee was there when I arrived and offered to take me to Checkers and Spar to get anything else I might need. I said I needed everything- the only food I brought were some Butterfingers that an American friend sent me. She and Debbie said I should check my cupboards.

Apparently a collection was taken up at the college to make sure I would have everything I could possibly need right off the bat. I hadn’t expected that at all. There were pots and pans, cleaning supplies, towels, bug spray, dishes, tons of food and candy (“chocolates”), clothes hangers, a tv, an iron- even three wine glasses to go with THREE bottles of wine. They had thought of everything I would need before I even considered it. And since it was all there already set up all I had to do was unpack my bags and it looked like a home. It only took me about an hour and a half and everything was done.

A lot of people from the college live in the area. After I finished unpacking I went for a practice drive in the college car and made it all the way to Terri-Lee and Michael’s house 3 or 4 blocks away without stalling.

So. Next step: driving.